ANNUAL WELL VISITS
The Annual Wellness Visit (AWV) is a yearly appointment, covered by Medicare Part B, to create or update a personalized prevention plan. This plan is designed to help prevent illness based on current health and risk factors
The Annual Wellness Visit consists of a “Health Risk Assessment” which includes:
- A review of your medical and family history.
- A review of your current providers and prescriptions.
- Height, weight, blood pressure, and other routine measurements.
- Personalized health advice.
- A list of risk factors and treatment options for you.
- A screening schedule (like a checklist) for appropriate preventive services. Get details about coverage for screenings, shots, and other preventive services.
- Advance care planning
- A cognitive assessment to look for signs of dementia, including Alzheimer’s disease
Original Medicare covers the Annual Wellness Visit at 100% of the Medicare-approved amount when service is received from a participating provider. This means you pay nothing (no deductible or coinsurance). Medicare Advantage Plans are required to cover AWVs without applying deductibles, copayments, or coinsurance with an in-network provider who meets Medicare’s eligibility requirements for the service.